Thursday, March 7, 2013

Athena's Review: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell


This was a clever and well written book. It was ambitious and unique.

It took me awhile to read this book. It was on my Kindle so I often forgot I had it and it didn't give me incentive to read it in time like my library books. The other reason I would forget about this book is the different narratives from this book. It is very well written and I liked it more than other books that had this kind of style such as Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad. It does mean that once you get comfortable with one chapter's story, it changes and you have to start all over again.

It took to reading the sixth and final narrative in the middle of the book that I realized what Mitchell was doing. At that point, I had to finish the book. It became gripping and I really liked the every changing structure and tone.

For the full review of the book and the movie, please click here to see it on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment