Monday, November 9, 2009

Introduction - Marieke

Hello! I'm Marieke and my blog is Athyrium filix-femina (The Lady Fern). I mostly write about books and a bit about living in Scotland, where I have lived for the last couple years (I'm from the western U.S.).

I had already decided I wanted to read Booker prize winners, when I discovered the fantastic world of reading challenges. Thanks to all who have participated so far in making this a fun and informative place to be. And thanks to Laura for hosting!

So far, the Booker winners I have read are, with links to my reviews:

1981 Midnight's Children - Rushdie
1988 Oscar and Lucinda - Carey
1989 The Remains of the Day - Ishiguro
1992 The English Patient - Ondaatje (one of my all-time favorites)
1993 Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Doyle
1994 How Late It Was, How Late - Kelman
1996 Last Orders - Swift
1997 The God of Small Things - Roy (another of my favorites)
2002 Life of Pi - Martel
2007 The Gathering - Enright

The next Booker winners I'd like to read are 1990's Possession (Byatt) and 2000's The Blind Assassin (Atwood). I'd also like to try some Murdoch and Coetzee, whom I haven't ever read.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of the 2009 shortlist, either. It all depends on what's available at the library!

I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and reviews with you all!

1 comment: