Sunday, April 5, 2009

Trevor's Review of J.L. Carr's A Month in the Country

While I've been reading everyone's reviews, I haven't posted one of my own here in some time. Part of that is because I haven't read many Booker books. After reading last year's longlist, I became disgruntled. I'm getting over it and hope I'm in shape to read this year's list as well.

However, it almost slipped by me that this little gem of a book was shortlisted for the Booker in 1980. I loved it! I think it is the shortest book ever to be on the shortlist, so it doesn't take long to read, but there is so much in it. It does feel like a month in the country: restful, nostalgic, dreamy.

I posted my full review on my blog here: http://mookseandgripes.com/reviews/2009/03/08/jl-carrs-a-month-in-the-country/

I hope many of you find this book which is published by Penguin Modern Classis in the UK and NYRB Classics in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment